Ibrahim Zakzaky was arrested after violence in the northern city of Zaria


On Monday, the cleric departed Nigeria to get medical treatment from India but an official in the Medanta hospital at Gurgaon told AFP he had abandoned the practice late Thursday.
Fears within the couple’s health had fuelled a wave of recent protests in Abuja that descended into bloodshed following a brutal crackdown from security forces.
A court granted permission to allow them to get medical attention from India under Nigerian authorities oversight.

Shiites constitute a tiny minority in mostly Sunni Muslim northern Nigeria. Estimates put their numbers at approximately four million at a federal population of about 190 million.
The cleric’s attorneys say he’s lost his sight in 1 eye, is on the point of going blind at another and has bullet fragments lodged in his own body by the violence. His supporters say he’s endured a series of strokes.
However, the police insisted after their treatment is finished, that they must go back to stand trial.
Nigerian Shiite leader Ibrahim Zakzaky – whose bad health in detention fuelled a wave of violent protests at Abuja – has abandoned a hospital at Gurgaon near Delhi where he came for therapy this week, the practice said Friday, while his office said that he had been heading home.

The chief of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) was in custody in Nigeria together with his wife Zeenah Ibrahim because his arrest at December 2015 after violence which saw the military kill some 350 of his followers.

Zakzaky, in his mid-sixties, was detained after violence in the northern town of Zaria saw tens of thousands of his assistants gunned down by security forces and buried in mass graves.
The cleric and his team, which emerged out of a pupil movement in the 1970s, have been at loggerheads with the government for decades due to forecasts to an Iranian-style Islamic revolution in Nigeria.

A statement from his office on Twitter on Thursday said that he had been expected to take off from New Delhi at 10:00 pm (0430 GMT) jumped for Nigeria but there was no immediate evidence he had abandoned.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here